8 Nov 2011

What are you searching for?

When listening to music words are really important to me, and sometimes words that I relate to or speak to me will jump out or stick in my head. I was recently listening to the song ‘By your side’ by Tenth Avenue North, it wasn’t a song I’d heard before but as I listened a line jumped out at me.

“Why are you still searching…as if I’m not enough?”



I felt God challenge me on what I search for, forgetting that in Christ I have everything (Philippians 3:8). In life we can search for friendships, status, recognition, among other things, but are we making our search for a deeper relationship with God our priority? In Joshua 24:19 it refers to God as “a Holy God…a jealous God”. He doesn’t want us searching and striving for other things (idols) – he wants our focus to be Him because he wants a relationship with us. God is the only person worthy of being our first priority.

Jesus gave everything for us to have a relationship with Him; have a look at Philippians 2:6-8 to see what He was willing to do to have a relationship with you! He gave up equality with God, to be crucified for us. He is the best friend you’ll ever have; strong when you feel weak, powerful when situations seem hopeless while also being a close and personal friend that is always willing to listen. The song ‘this so called love’ by Mercy Me is full of truth about how He’ll be there for you through anything and I’d recommend having a listen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOrKrmFoXSI


So if Jesus gave everything to have a close and personal relationship with you, why are you searching for anything else? You could spend ages searching for other things, but if you search for God you won’t have to search for long – “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13). If you wanted to be better friends with a mate you’d spend more time with them and talk to them more – the same applies to a relationship with God. Make some time to spend with Him, as you would a good friend who you’d want to catch up with. And I pray that your relationship with your heavenly Father will become stronger as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment