10 May 2011

Once you're in - YOU'RE IN.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22
“And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put His seal on us and given us His Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.”

Seal: stamp, authentication, assurance, confirmation, ratification.


Guarantee: promise, word of honour, pledge, oath, bond, covenant, security, surety.

Reflections

Jesus’ sacrifice for us was not incomplete. It is not as though Jesus died to save us, and now sneaks us into God’s presence like we’re an uninvited guest at a party; like we’re the geeky kid who doesn’t quite fit in with everyone else there. Christ’s sacrifice was totally complete; totally transforming! It took us from dirty to clean; from stained to white; from having no seal to having God’s seal of approval!

God puts His seal on us! Our rescuing is a very public thing. It’s not hidden away. This is important because it helps me to see just how secure I am in God. God sets me up before all the angels and demons, before Satan and all the sleeping saints, to show them that I am in Christ. He raises my spirit to life and enables me to breathe the pure air of God’s love and presence because I am in Christ.

God also puts His Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee! As a guarantee of what?! Of our ‘forever-and-ever-ness’, in Christ; so that we know we will eternally bear His seal. It’s not dependent on certain conditions which, if not met, discontinue the guarantee. No! It’s an eternal guarantee. Once it’s made, it can never be broken; kind of like the unbreakable vow in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (just with no penalty of death if someone doesn’t follow through, because God is always faithful – and no wands either).

God has forever established me in Christ.
God has forever anointed me in Christ.
God has put His seal on me in Christ and I am always to bear the mark of being one of God’s; His seal is never to be rubbed off.
In Christ, God has put His Spirit in my heart as a guarantee of this; an unbreakable guarantee!

This will always be true of me since I am intimately, completely, and intrinsically united with Christ.

What God does He doesn’t regret, He doesn’t undo, He doesn’t take back. God’s work is permanent.

Come on. This is great news for those of us in Christ. Allow this truth to resonate in your hearts this week. Once you're in - you're IN!

No comments:

Post a Comment