24 May 2011

Dealing with difficulty: Overcoming fear

Sally Bull shares from her own experience about how God has helped her through a difficult few weeks...

Psalm 112 is all about what attributes a person has if they love God and fear only Him. It talks about riches and blessings, generosity, loving others, having a firm foundation in God and blessed children. Then in verse 7 it says this: “He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord.”

The last few weeks have not been the easiest for me and I’ve struggled with carrying the burden of bad news, but not just that, it was news that I didn’t really understand. I decided I needed to find out more and clarify what was going on. I had to wait over a week before I could properly do this and during that time I had managed to work myself up so badly that the thought of the whole situation became pretty unbearable and mostly reduced me to tears. I convinced myself that the absolute worst was going to happen and my whole outlook on the situation was bleaker than bleak. I hadn’t read my bible in ages but when I eventually did pick it up (rather half heartedly I have to admit!) I was drawn to Psalm 112, and it was verse 7 that really challenged me: “no fear of bad news”? At that time, fearing bad news was all I was doing but God had spoken to me through His word and told me I didn’t need to do this at all! I was reminded that THE ONLY THING TO FEAR IS GOD HIMSELF.

Somewhere in the bible it says that God is above all things, which means he has complete control over every situation no matter how big or small. What a relief! But what did this mean for me? Well the situation didn’t and still hasn’t gone away, BUT I know that I can trust in God that he will work it for his good and for his glory, and as long as that happens, well I’m happy, because at the end of the day, as a Christian I’m not living my life for me anymore anyway; I’m living it for God.

The next verse goes on to say: “his heart is secure, he will have no fear...” I know that ultimately my heart, my mind and my soul is secure in God and I will trust him through the good times AND the bad. And you know what, when I did finally properly find out what was going on, it wasn’t as bad as I had told myself it was going to be anyway which just proved to me even more that I need God in my life to show me the truth that I have become blind to seeing, and to put things back into perspective for me. Why put myself in control when God is all knowing? I just freak out!

So my point in writing this blog is this:

What are you fearing above God at the moment?

Challenge yourself to hand it over to Him... even if you have before, keep recommitting it to him because “the Lord is close to the broken-hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18. And I can testify to that being true!

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment