3 Jan 2012

Prayer: Find somewhere, ANYWHERE...

This week I’ve felt really challenged by God on my prayer life.


I am ashamed to say that I am definitely no prayer warrior and go up and down a lot with my levels of ‘botheredness’. This is not because I feel I want to rebel against God or anything, but mostly I just forget, get distracted mid way, or get frustrated with my repeating myself on unanswered prayers. So if this happens to you too, I just want to say, don’t worry this is normal! It happens to other people too - well it does me anyway!

But we shouldn’t be satisfied with the attitude that if others do it too, it’s ok - it’s not ok, we're missing out on a lot! In Galatians 1:10 it says “If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.” And as Christians we are servants of Christ so we should want to please him and do his will, which is for us to have a relationship with Him, for Him to father us; and, if we want God’s guidance and blessing over our lives we should also want a relationship with Him, like we would any earthly parent.

So, I’ve been reading this book called ‘Too Busy not to Pray’ (well actually Abbey has been reading it to me because I hate reading, but minor details! – Thankyou Abbey!) and it’s a really good book. As you read it and think of a question, it immediately goes on to answering that question so I highly recommend it. It challenges you while also explaining things, and the last bit we read was about how you can pray to God anywhere and anytime, but how you also need to have a quiet place that you can go to regularly. Prayers don’t have to be long and well phrased... in fact God just wants you to be passionate and truthful about what you are saying, you don’t need to flower it up or waffle– just say it how it is and ‘amen’ it! God will develop your prayer language over time, but he just loves his children talking to him.

How can you expect to have peace over a situation, if you haven’t even asked God to be in it? And this is where I fail drastically. I’m like, “oh God I feel so upset/angry/whatever emotion about this situation, why can’t you make it better, or at least give me some peace over it.” And God says, “Well hello? Have you talked to me about it much recently? Have you prayed that I would give you peace?” How can you expect God to work in a situation that you haven’t even invited Him into? He wants to work in it, but he wants you to want Him in it more... and notice His work and be grateful for it, not just think it was a coincidence! So pray about things expectantly, not just once and that’s it, but every day!

And this is where our challenge came in, and where I challenge you too: find somewhere you can go regularly with no distractions and be still and wait on God and pray to him. It can be ANYWHERE... your room, the bathroom, the car, the garden, a walk, but make sure you go there at least once a day and chat to Jesus, your friend and brother, so that eventually being in that place naturally prompts you to prayer. Mine's the car and by doing this I know that some situations may change and be the answer I was hoping for; or they also may not change, but luckily for me I also have a God who doesn’t change so I know that I can stand firm with him and know that “The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” Psalm 18:2. Don’t mistake the bad things as Gods lack of control or care. Life is not about His ability, but about His sovereignty. If you don’t have peace over a situation, pray that God will reign over it and the peace will come. I promise you!

It’s like the line in the song ‘Oh Little Town of Bethlehem’, “The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.” We can bring our doubts, fears and upsets to Him, especially now as we start a new year, and know that he is listening. And as we look back on what has been, we can also put our hopes in Him too and know that he is the centre of it all and “working all things together for the good of those who love him.” Romans 8:28. So pray pray pray and see what God has in store for you, it’s going to be a great journey!

Happy New Year, Sal.

1 comment:

  1. Well I needed to hear that! Thanks so much for writing this :)

    ReplyDelete