20 Sept 2011

Help I'm Lost, Where Is God's will?

By Demelza

At Life Group the other day, we were invited to write down a question that we had about God, and then those that wanted to could choose somebody else’s question to try and answer in a blog.

The question I chose was actually something that had been on my heart for a while: “Why is it that I don't know where I am going? I try and pray and ask for direction, but unlike everyone around me, I can't seem to get a response. Why am I failing?”

This reminded me strongly of a preach by Andrew Wilson – probably one of the best preaches I’ve ever heard. He talked about a football match (forgive me for forgetting the exact details – not a football fan I’m afraid!) where in the first half of the match, Liverpool were losing quite badly to Manchester United – they were 3-0 down, and apparently there’s not much hope of recovering from that. When it came to half time, Liverpool fans were gutted. Shockingly, one fan was so upset he killed himself during half time, without even knowing the ending. That guy was so sure that everything was over, that without waiting until the end of the match, he ended his life. Incredibly, Liverpool ended up winning the match through penalty points. How sad that that man had based his own happiness on a match he thought he knew the ending of, but didn’t.

Andrew Wilson said that watching that match at the time was painful and tense, but now, knowing the ending, he can watch that awful first half again knowing that in the end, everything would be alright.

Though there is sadness, loss and confusion in our everyday lives, we don’t have to worry about the future because not only do we know the end of the story we also know that we have a God who is guiding us through our lives, even though it sometimes feels as if he’s not there.

Earlier this year, that’s exactly how I felt: like God was giving other people direction and had forgotten me. The way I got through it was to P.U.S.H – Pray Until Something Happens. We have an amazing God who loves us so much, who wants us to come to Him and tell Him how we feel. I also limited my music to just Christian music until my head was sorted out and I knew I was right with God. I’d really recommend doing these things as well as reading the Bible and talking/praying with a youth leader when you feel this way.

With regards to failing, the point is simple, even though it doesn’t always feel it: if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us? I found this verse really helpful during my exams:
“For if their purpose or activity if of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourself fighting against God.” (Acts 5:38)

Other verses I turn to when I’m feeling lost:

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:11-13)
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” (Philippians 4:6)

God bless  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment